Saturday, April 9, 2011

East Wind Community

Joshua and I returned back to East Wind Community after leaving Acorn. We are provisional members at East Wind.
Honestly, I didn't want to come back here. I believe that when I did my visitor period at East Wind, August 2010, the community was experiencing a down time. The temperature was in the 90's and 100's every day, and the humidity was unbearable for many people, causing grouchiness. Many people were on vacation, resulting in many chores being neglected; such as cooking meals or changing out the composting toilet buckets.
Though, life is really good here right now. I have been here for three months now.

Every day is a challenge in a different way. For example, because 67 people share everything, things go missing a lot. Everyone's mind works differently.

I use a thermometer weekly to make yogurt for the community, and today I couldn't find the thermometer. When someone finally found it I talked to the kitchen manager about the issue of things going missing, and he told me that I could just keep the thermometer specifically for making yogurt, and keep it hidden. I hadn't considered doing this before because it is a community thermometer, but I figured, what the hell. If I don't hide it, then it will go missing again and I won't be able to make yogurt for all the people who love to eat it.

I was later confronted by another communitarian asking if I had the thermometer. She needed it for taking the temperature of the goats' milk. It is very important that the job gets done, and she was stressing about it. I had no idea the thermometer was used for that. In the end, we agreed to keep the thermometer in a specific place so that we could both find it and use it when we needed it.

Things go missing.
There are a lot of people living here.
It is difficult to know the details of what other people are working on, or going through in their personal lives.
But then we connect, and communicate.
And that's community.

No comments:

Post a Comment